Friday, August 29, 2014

Divorced

I was sitting at work, minding my own business on Wednesday afternoon, when an email from my attorney popped up.

"Judge R entered the Judgment of Dissolution today, so you are officially divorced."

Just like that, it was done. Just like that, I started sobbing, a nasty, ugly cry. I'm sure people could hear me outside of my office. I couldn't stop the tears. They weren't tears of happiness, or even relief. I was so, SO sad.  Despite my STRONG desire to end the marriage, it was still so sad. The loss of a marriage, the loss of a family, the loss of dreams that we had always talked about, places we wanted to visit, where we thought we'd be in 5 years/10 years. It was all gone. All of it.  And shared memories...the days our children were born, relatives deceased (his mom and grandmother, 3 of my grandparents), that any significant other that comes after will never know. Hell, there's a picture of us the day we got married, with both sets of my grandparents. It's so special to me, and I can never hang it on the wall again. A picture of him and his mom at our wedding that is wonderful, that was banished to a drawer along with other wedding memories a year and a half ago. I'll keep those for our kids, of course, but it still hurts to know that that part of my/our life, is over. 

And, I've moved into a new category. I can't check "married" anymore, or even "single." I'm divorced. I don't care really, makes no difference. I don't think one is any better than the other. But still, a new category. 

After I collected myself a bit, I started writing him a letter, but the tears started coming again, so much I couldn't even see the screen. But, I will finish the letter, and send to him. I don't know if he'll read it. But, it will make me feel better. I want him to know I don't think he's a bad person. I know at one time he knew that, but I fear that in his distorted view of everything, he may have forgotten. I want to remind him that he will always be welcome in our children's lives, so long as he is sober. If it's not for 5 years, so be it. But i want him to know that it's ok to contact me to see them. 

I still love him as a person, as the father of my children. If not for him, I wouldn't have the exact 3 that I do. And they are the kids I was meant to have, I firmly believe that. I want the best for him, and if he ever asked for my help, I would jump to give it. 

I think it was a year and eight months ago that I first talked with a therapist about all of this. Even then, I knew in a very small corner of my brain what I wanted the end result to be, I just needed someone to help. I knew I was not meant to be with him for the rest of my life. It didn't feel good anymore, and hadn't for years, to be honest. As I told her my story, she slowly encouraged me to walk down the path that would lead to this day. I fought it at times, but I got here. I ALWAYS said that before I even made the first move toward divorce that I wanted to know that I tried everything to save our marriage (which essentially meant trying everything that I could to save him). I honestly feel like I did. I have no regrets about that, no "what if we'd tried this or done that." Knowing that brings me some peace in this.


1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to say "Don't be sad..." blah blah blah... because it IS ok to be sad. If you weren't sad I'd seriously be worried about you. It is the end of an era. A monumental part of your life. It has been a very rough road with so many highs and lows... and all those memories that only you two share. A road filled with emotional turmoil, heartache, fear, and sadness dotted with some happy times as well. It is a journey that you shared together and in all honesty I am so amazed that you have come through all of it feeling the way that you do. I know that many people, possibly even myself, would feel so bitter and hurt and angry that the mere though of wanting the best for him would be difficult. But you TRULY do want the best for him. You are amazing. I think that writing D a letter is a very good idea. You need to say some things to him that he probably wouldn't actually HEAR if you said them face to face. Get everything off your chest and then know that you absolutely have done everything (and then some!) to save your marriage - and him. Hang on to the peace of knowing you tried and tried and tried. What happens from here on out is up to D. If he wants to be part of his children's lives, he has the power to make that happen and he knows what he has to do. That being said, if at any point for any reason D starts in again with the threats or acting in any way that makes you feel uncomfortable, please don't stand for it. You know how I feel about this sort of thing and why. As for you, say what you need to say and focus on the wonderful life that is right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete