Friday, April 5, 2013

"Does he have a drinking problem?"

THE question of the day today, came from my mother. I talked to her last night and mentioned that D had moved into the condo yesterday. I tried to speed through it so it wouldn't give her too much to think about, since I had not told her about the condo debacle, or the damage control I'd had to do with tenants, or that they had vacated.

As expected, after a night of pondering, she called this morning to get more info. She questioned why they were moving, since she knew their lease was through summer. I told her that D did something in November that they could have pressed charges, and that I had to do damage control and that one of the agreements was that they could move early, with 30 days notice.

She just sat there. "Oh, S. What did he do? Did he hurt one of them?" I told her that he didn't, and I didn't want to give any more info about it right now. She asked "does he have a drinking problem?"

I WANTED TO SAY NO! I THOUGHT ABOUT SAYING NO! But, I knew that there was no easier transition into the topic than this. So I said yes. She told me she wasn't really suprised, and really just left it alone. I'll get a phone call tonight grilling me for more info, I'm sure.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds exactly like how my mom would have asked. I felt a lot better though when I was honest with my family. I felt like I had betrayed him, but it certainly made it easier for them to not judge my decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jen. I do feel good that it's out there. I think I'll feel even better once a can share a few more of the "lighter" situations. She did say, "well, you're doing the right thing for you. And especially for those babies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, your mom loves you just like you love your babies. She only wants your happiness. She will be needing time to come to terms with (to process) her 'new' information about D. She will want to support you, because she loves you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete