Monday, April 21, 2014

Meeting Oliver and other big things...

Well, another milestone out of the way...the kids and I met Oli (J's son) this Saturday. He's 3 weeks younger than Sophie. I had mentioned last week that I was thinking of taking my kids to Purina Farms to see the Easter Bunny, and they have a petting zoo and other fun stuff as well. J never really responded affirmatively that he was interested in joining so I dropped it. He then sent a text on Fri asking if that was still our plan and that he and O wanted to join.

Oli and S took to each other right away. He's an only child, and sort of take charge (not bossy), and it fit really well with S's timid, unsure personality. I took my digital camera and J got some awesome pictures. Will upload those soon and post here.

There was such a feeling of family, if that makes any sense. It wasn't me taking care of my 3, and J taking care of Oli. It was both of us, taking care of them all. It's what I envisioned a "family" should be. It was just really freaking awesome.

Yesterday, the kids and I went to my parents for Easter. I dropped the bomb. I had too...I was ready, and I knew I needed to just put it out there. So I told my mom. She had all of her usual questions, but interestingly (for my mom) her first question was "does he make you happy." Of course, I answered yes. It was all good after that. It took her 20 minutes of questioning before she asked what he did for a living (also very out of character for my mom). I told her he was a carpenter. She didn't bat an eye. I asked her "you don't have a problem with that?" She said "why would I have a problem with that. I'm sure he's a hard worker." Who is this mother of mine, lol?!

Speaking of his job, he brought it up on Sat night. We were out to dinner and he said something about his paychecks (apparently he usually has several each week). He mentioned how much he made hourly (not in the same oddball way that Shane had done so). First of all, it was ALOT more than I expected. He mentioned that he had made more prior to the recession, but then had gotten laid off, and when he was offered a new job he actually asked for less than what he had been making, just because he really enjoyed what he does and that it's not about the money for him. I LOVED hearing that. And, I also felt horrible, after thinking originally that he had little ambition/motivation. He's doing what he loves. What more can a person ask.

THEN, after dinner we were sitting in the car trying to figure out what to do. We somehow got into a serious conversation and it turned to D. He said "I feel for him." He went on to say that yes kids are a lot of work and it can be crazy and chaotic but they are gifts and we are lucky to get to experience them, and one day he hopes D realizes this before it's too late for him and his kids. I might have died a little inside. Not only does J NOT feel threatened by an ex, but to feel what he does for him is beyond me.

Ohhhh...and the big news (not like all of this isn't big, lol), is that J openly spent the night last night. Easing into it for me, b/c S stayed at my parents, but it was incredibly nice to 1) not have to sneak him out of the house this morning and 2) (and the big one for me) when the twins woke up, they hopped into bed with us and the 4 of us just played, and were goofy together. Again, this is the vision I've always had in my head of how my "family" would be...

1 comment:

  1. So HAPPY for you!!! I'm THRILLED that your mom made your happiness the priority. I had a feeling that she would after all you have been through... and because your happiness should be the priority!! Everything you posted is just so wonderful. I had hoped and hoped and hoped that you'd find a relationship like this. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete