Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Told my parents

Oh.my.gawwwddddd I have been dreading it. Putting it off as long as I possibly could. But, D called me a bit ago and told me he got the apartment and that he moves in Friday. He was rational. Logical. Ready to move forward.

As the classic co-dependent, I asked him ONE last time if this is really what he wanted. He got a bit snippy with me, asking if I thought he was just wasting his time the last several day with the apartment search. Then, he had the nerve to make a comment, something like, maybe one day...people get re-married, blah blah, but I have to deal with my stuff right now. You do not want to know what is going on in my brain.

Agreed. But, what I heard was I need to take this time to drink my bloody head off, and when I'm done, if I am not dead first, we'll talk about reconciliation.

Maybe it's overdramatic, but that was my interpretation.

So, called my mom. It felt like a good time. I wasn't feeling too *anything.* We made small talk. I could tell she was ending the convo and said "so you want to hear my drama?" "What?" "D's moving out." "NO." "Yes."

Once it was out there, it was ok. I told her she shouldn't be shocked. She wasn't, but WAS sad. And then we got disconnected. You have got to be kidding me! She was in the car with my dad so I'm sure they were gossiping a mile a minute until they got back within cell reception. They were in KENTUCKY buying a furnace! My life is just weird!

Anyhoo, she called back. Asked some questions. She asked if I "have someone else." I just laughed. Seriously?! I barely have time to shower most days.  I assured her that neither of us had anyone on the side, lol. I told her I wasn't comfortable sharing details yet, but she could be assured that I'd thought long and hard, researched, did my homework and this was the best decision. She asked if M (BIL) knows. I said yes, and told her the specifics of that (how the apt people contacted him for income check). She asked what he thought. I carefully told her he was very angry at D (again, telling her I wasn't going to give her details---she didn't want them anyway). She will though, eventually:)

She asked if D would help support the babies financially. I told her if it came to divorce, he's agreed to give me 1/2 the money. She was relieved at that. Again, I told her my bases are covered, this was not a rash decision, etc. I think my (perceived) rationality was both relieving, and very strange to her.

So, cat's most definately out of the bag. Telling them was the biggie. Please tell me it's all downhill from here...

1 comment:

  1. That must feel like a big weight has been lifted off of you. I know it wasn't easy, but they had to know and sooner is always better than later. I know it's a difficult road, but it will get better. I truly believe that! It's been an uphill battle for a long time now, even before everything that culminated to what's happening now. Think of the separation, D moving out, taking control of the situation as progress - because that's what it is - progress. It's not going to all be rainbows and butterflies, but I am so proud of you for sticking to your guns and doing what NEEDS to be done for the sake of your happiness, sanity AND for those gorgeous tiny humans of yours.

    ReplyDelete